As part of our mission to enhance community access to health and fitness education and activities, P3R actively seeks out opportunities to give back to our community. Our partners in these endeavors share the same commitment to making Pittsburgh a healthy community.
The American Development Program is an initiative designed to increase exposure and racing opportunities for emerging American professional runners. P3R’s American Development Program is committed to supporting promising American athletes in the running industry.
The American Development Program inspires the next generation of runners by connecting professional athletes to the Pittsburgh community. Before competing at P3R events, American Development Program ambassadors visit and interact with local youth at schools, community programs and special P3R events.
- Selected Kids of STEEL sites and professional runners competing during the DICK'S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon weekend of events are matched together as pen pals. The pen pals correspond throughout the spring and meet during the Pen Pal Picnic @ the Point on Friday of Marathon weekend. Past pen pals include top American Marathoners Clara Santucci and Tyler McCandless.
- Olympic silver medalist Leo Manzano, along with professional milers Jordan McNamara and Heather Kampf served as honorary coaches during the 5-week GNC Live Well Liberty Mile training program for 120 elementary and middle school students participating in the Summer Dreamers Academy, a Pittsburgh Public Schools program.
- Local top high school milers were invited to a special pre-race dinner with professional athletes competing in the GNC Live Well Liberty Mile. The professional athletes shared their experiences as runners to inspire and encourage the high school athletes in their future running pursuits.
- Local junior high and high school athletes were invited to a pre-race shakeout run at Station Square with U.S. Half Marathon record holder Ryan Hall and 4-time World Championship team member Sara Hall.
- More than 200 students at McClellan Elementary met Team USA Minnesota teammates Jon Grey, Jon Peterson and Gina Valgoi at a school assembly.